When the energy bills are too high, it can feel like you’re stuck in a bit of a pickle. Especially here in Tampa, where the summers are unbearable without proper cooling. If you’ve got a traditional central heating and cooling system, the costs associated with pumping tons of treated air throughout your home can pile up over time if you’re not careful. But without the proper temperature control, being comfortable can become nearly impossible.
There’s another option out there, though, and it can solve a majority of those problems. Geothermal energy is a perfectly viable option for you to take, and the benefits associated with it can pay off for you both in the short-term and over time. Acree Plumbing & Air’s team of experienced electricians is knowledgeable about geothermal energy and can help you find the best possible solution to lessen the burden on you and your family. To help you make a more informed decision, we’ve laid out a few of the advantages installing a geothermal energy system might bring you.
Power – Through the Ground
The key to geothermal energy lies in its name. Instead of an electrically powered unit, geothermal energy heats and cools air by utilizing the ground. A system of underground, liquid-filled pipes lie beneath the house, and the indoor heating and cooling unit sends the air through these pipes, into the cool ground below. Depending on whether you’re heating or cooling the home, the air gets propelled back up into the above-ground unit and is dispersed as hot or cold air.
If you’re wanting hot air, the temperature is increased by a heating pipe before being dispersed. But if the cool air is what you want, then the process is simply reversed so hot air is sent through the ground.
The Benefits Are Many
Switching to a geothermal system offers many advantages you wouldn’t otherwise be able to receive with a normal unit.
- It doesn’t require much maintenance. Unlike other units, there aren’t many moving parts to a geothermal system. It runs quietly and efficiently, and the repairs you’ll have to make over the course of its life are few and far between.
- It’s eco-friendly. Since the entire process is water-based, there’s no gas or combustion going on and as such, there are no hazardous byproducts emitted from the exhaust. It’s all safe for the environment.
- Geothermal systems are far more efficient, and it’s not even close. They’re more than twice as efficient as most furnaces, and that’s just the low end of the geothermal spectrum. Depending on the specific situation your home is in, a geothermal heating and cooling system could be as much as five times as efficient as a furnace.
- You save money in the long run. Utility bills will be drastically cut with a geothermal system – think 50 percent on heating bills and 30 percent on cooling bills.
- You don’t have to worry about it. Since the exchange process happens underground, external factors aren’t going to affect how it runs. Weather becomes a non-issue.
Unfortunately, the biggest drawback is the up-front cost. Installation of a geothermal system can be a bit pricey, but we’re confident that the longer you have one, the more pleased you’ll be with it.
Acree Plumbing & Air’s team of expert technicians can install a brand-new geothermal heating and cooling system for your home to help you endure those long, hot Tampa summers in no time. To find out even more about how a geothermal system can benefit you and your family, give us a call at (813) 524-6313 today!